You dont rise to the level of your goal but fall to the level of your systems – James Clear
Having a goal is great, but if you dont know how to get there, then you won’t reach it, and if the way you are trying to reach the goal is not sustainable, then again, you won’t reach or goal and even if you do you won’t maintain it.
So how do you create a system to help you reach your goal and still create balance within your life? Because at the end of the day, your health and fitness goals should complement your life; they should add value and enhance your life.
We do this by setting your daily five non-negotiables that will help you create healthy habits to reach your goal but also bring balance to your life.
Start at the end ( this means where you want to end up) and work your way back; let’s say you want to lose weight or build muscle and feel healthier.
12-week goal: I want to lose 12lbs in 12 weeks ( currently 135, I want to be 123Lbs )
Monthly: weight loss target is 4lbs each month
Weekly: 1lbs week
This means you have to burn 3500 calories to lose 1lbs a week.
So you will have to reduce your calories by 500 a day from your maintenance calories (TDEE)
So you can do this one or both: eating less, moving more, or both.
Now it’s not just about having a goal and nutrition plan and workouts; you need to create daily habits to help you reach those goals.
The best way to create new habits is to create the five daily non-negotiables, and they could look like this:
- Meal prep my food and track it either by following a meal plan or using MFP and sticking to your calorie deficit
- Workout 30 minutes
- Do my check on the same day each week- pictures/measurements/ feedback questions
- Get 7-8hrs of sleep
- Drink 2L of water
- Have 20-30 grams of protein and 150g of veggies at each meal
- 10k steps daily with 15 minutes being outside for a walk in the fresh air
- Get to bed by 8 pm
- Write 3 wins every day
- Lift weights 3x week
- Spend 5-10 minutes as soon as I get up with my thoughts – journaling, write my goals for the day, writing a gratitude list, listening to a motivational podcast
- Go for a walk outside
- Drink 2ls of water
- Follow a weightlifting program
- 30 minutes of doing something that brings my soul joy
The most important thing is that your daily five are personal to you and help move you forward to your goal no matter what your goal is, whether that be health, more energy, stronger, fat burning or muscle building; then you can create your daily five. They will create rituals you look forward to. PLUS, who doesn’t like checking off a list as you complete what you said you would do?
Pick 1-2 NN that will help your physique & performance goals, 1-2 that will help your health goals, and then one that you look forward to doing that makes your soul happy.
Let me know if this helps below in the comments.