Today I will give you my 3 tips for putting muscle on; now, you have to remember that putting muscle on will take time, discipline, focus, and patience.
Putting on muscle will increase your resting metabolic rate meaning you will burn more calories at rest. So whether you are male or female, building muscle is great for fat burning.
MYTH: putting muscle on will make me look huge and bulky
TRUTH: Putting muscle on is extremely hard, and depending on your genetics, you may not put it on as fast as you like. Also, putting on muscle will make your physique look fit. If you are a male, you will look fit and shredded, and if you are female, it will tighten & tone everything and give you curves.
TIP #1 NUTRITION
It’s no surprise that nutrition is my number one tip for building muscle. If you do not put this first, you will not achieve the results you want.
You must be in a caloric surplus( eating over your maintenance calories) to up muscle on this means you must consume MORE than you BURN. You cannot put muscle on if you are in a deficit( eating under maintenance calories); initially, you will have to track your food and be consistent with eating regularly.
- Know your calories and macro split. FIND YOURS HERE. Knowing your macros will ensure you get the right amounts of protein, carbs and fats for your body type and goal. Protein is the building block’s for muscle, and Carbohydrates are so important for building muscle as they produce your body with energy to sustain your workouts and everyday activities; fats are important too, as they support healthy hormones.
- Plan your food; we have meal plans and loads of muscle-building recipes in the Fit Club.
- Track your food every day; this means everything that goes in your mouth ( food and liquid). I use My Fitness Pal (premium version)
- Stay consistent and make sure you choose foods you enjoy
TIP #2 WEIGHT LIFTING
“Progress improves when progress is measured and when progressed is tracked it accelerates” Pearson Law
To build muscle, you must be weightlifting and adding progressive overload each time. For your muscle to grow, you must create small tears in the muscle fibres and then that’s how they heal and grow bigger.
- Choose a program that fits your goal and lifestyle
- Track your workouts and record your weights each workout and try and challenge the weights each session
- Be consistent and keep showing up
TIP #3 REST
Training 7 days a week with no rest days will work against you to build muscle. With building muscle, you need to take 1-3 days off a week for rest. Rest is a part of your training program as your muscle grow and change when you are resting. When you are training, you are tearing your muscle fibres and putting stress on your body and at rest is when your body goes to work.
Supplements are not required to see results, but they can help supplement your training program by aiding in faster recovery times and more strength in workouts.
These are some of Adam and I’s favourite supplements:
- Creatine ( this is our favourite supplement )
- Protein powder ( not really a supplement but helps get your protein intake higher)
- BCAA’S ( branch chain amino acids)
Above all else, make sure you work just as hard on your mindset as you do on your body. Remember, the body can only achieve what the mind believes.
Growing muscle will require you to be disciplined, patient and focused; those are all a mindset. Make sure you feed your mind with podcasts and books that will motivate and inspire you along your fitness journey. Lastly, set big goals but don’t forget to celebrate the small daily wins and do this as much as you can because it’s the little by little that gets you the BIG end goal.
Your transformation coach
JOIN THE FIT CLUB TODAY! are you a BEAST or a BABE?
2 thoughts on “3 TIPS TO PUTTING ON MUSCLE”
I find protein is the hardest to get in. Having a good protein powder makes all the difference in the world. Thanks for sharing!
Love these tips & reminders!